WELCOME TO PURCHASING A VEHICLE AS A SINGLE MOM 101
This process is hell on earth and exhausting! I started with what I wanted vs what I needed…
- SUV or bigger for 5 people and more
- Tinted windows because my son has sensory issues and the tint helps with the sun
- Power windows and locks (SAFETY)
- Bluetooth for my phone
- Cruise control
- Backup camera
- Heated seats
- 4 WD
Now with my list complete, I start considering payments vs buying outright from an individual.
Payments are long-term and can be expensive but they have added ups and downs which include:
- More likely to get a reliable vehicle
- Insurance is more expensive because you have a lien holder
- If my financials change the payments can be hard to cover
- Depending on the dealership I will get free oil changes with my purchase
- It would help my credit score as long as I pay on time every month
- Most likely to get a warranty even if it is only a short length
I looked over my credit score and to stay within a payment range that won’t devastate my family I need to be under $11,999. The vehicle needs to be newer than 2008 with less than 90k miles on it. More options the better for the loan and I need to have at least a $3,000 down payment.
With all of that said and analyzed I started looking at vehicles from dealerships for the past almost 2 weeks.
I have looked at Vision, Marina, Doan, AuctionDirect, CarsUSA, Upstate Auto, and some other local buy here pay here dealerships. With frustration mounting as I test drive and hate multiple vehicles, it is starting to occur to me that maybe I will never find a vehicle that I like and also fits my financials…
I am going to the Vision dealership around 10 am to test drive a few more SUVs and hopefully make a final decision on what I am buying or not buying. I will post if I buy a vehicle…